Thursday, April 20, 2017

Radio Silence

Radio Silence

Radio Silence was an amazing read. There was something about it that appealed to me (other than the neat cover) and I'm so glad I gave this one a shot. Frances is a British/ Ethiopian student who is the best in her class and destined for Cambridge- she pretty much lives to study. A study machine, she calls herself. But she also loves a podcast called Universe City, and when she meets Aled Last, the shy kid behind the podcast, it changes her life. They become fast friends and she starts to realize there is more to her than studying. She has always groomed herself for success, as it is defined by society- study hard, get into a top school, make lots of money. But what if that's not what she really wants?

I think anyone who has agonized over their major or what to do with their life can relate to this story. Frances is also bisexual and Aled is possibly asexual- their relationship with each other is strictly platonic which was kind of refreshing. Even though they go through a lot they don't fall in love- their relationship issues are the issues friends might go through. So Frances and Aled are figuring out who they are but also who they want to be. And it's an awesome journey.

The problems arise when the podcast goes viral and all of a sudden it's super popular. Aled desperately wants to remain anonymous and sparks soon fly between the two of them. Complicating matters is the previous friendship Frances had with Aled's sister Carys. They were sort of unlikely friends and something happened between them just before Carys ran away, and no one knows where she went. Frances carries a lot of guilt around over it, thinking that she is responsible for Carys leaving, but her and Aled don't talk about it. It's probably not a surprise that the subject will come up however.  

I thought this was so well done. Frances really captured my attention from the outset, and I loved her relationship with Aled and her mom as well. It was nice to see a teen protagonist have a healthy relationship with her mother- they sit around and order pizza and watch movies.  In fact instead of the stereotypical parent relentlessly pushing her daughter to succeed, she's actually more easygoing than Frances is about it. I think her mom understood Frances more than Frances understood itself. And the relationship with Aled was complex- he's so quiet, so inward, that even though they have a great rapport she still doesn't really know what's driving him.

The chapters here are really short and I could barely put this one down. Frances has a somewhat snarky tone, especially in the beginning, and I loved her voice. Her friends mostly know her as a study machine but one in particular steps up later in the story and I loved it. I pretty much loved everything about this book, if there is one negative it might be that I thought Aled laid the drama on pretty thick. But he has a lot of problems and you can kind of overlook it. This is a story about fandoms but it's also a story about what you want in life. Have you ever questioned your life goals, or been unsure what you want? Who you are? If so you can probably relate to this one. The message here is be who you are- and it's one of my favorite reads of the year. 

44 comments:

  1. AN interesting topic there. I haven't read a lot of books like that but I want to! this one looks welld done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! It's one of those ones where you just mean to read a couple of chapters and next thing you know it's 2am. It was SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too! Everything about it was awesome.

      Delete
  3. Love the cover, but I would probably pass on the book. Too many others I would rather read.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a book I probably wouldn't have picked up from the cover but your review has me interested. Will add it to my TBR and give it a go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I am so glad you liked this one, Greg. It's one I would like to read and your review has me wanting to even more. I like that there is no romance between the two main characters. Not that I do not like romance--I do--but it's a refreshing change. I really want to get to know Frances and Aled now. Thanks for your great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like it! I loved that their relationship was platonic- I expected it to turn once or twice but nope- they stayed friends.

      Delete
  6. I'm so, so happy to hear you enjoyed this one as much as I did! I really love how relatable the main character felt and how there was no romance - I loved the focus on friendship instead. Plus, that cover is soooo stunning, right? :) lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it too! Such a good book. The friendship was great, And I LOVE that cover.

      Delete
  7. I haven't heard of this one before. You clearly loved it and it does have a great cover. I like the sound of it and will add it to my wishlist.
    Thanks
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one I haven't heard of; but after this wonderful review, it's one I'm definitely going to be reading. So many aspects you mention are refreshing, and I love that the relationship is platonic. Great review!
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele! I do highly recommend it- it was very refreshing and just a fine YA read. I loved that the relationship stayed platonic too!

      Delete
  9. A snarky voice is never wrong, and I like the short chapters thing cos omg how long chapters the book I just read had

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! And the short chapters were great- they really propel the story.

      Delete
  10. Can't go wrong with snarky when it's done right. ;) Wonderful review for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I did love her snarkiness.

      Delete
  11. This sounds so awesome- glad it was such a page-turner for you! I can totally relate to not knowing what to major in; I still remember putting undecided on my college applications and hoping that didn't come across as though I lacked ambition, lol. Will definitely have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good, and I enjoyed it very much! Abd yup me too- I was undecided for the longest time. I think a lot of us can relate to this book.

      Delete
  12. This sounds like an excellent read. I love that the focus is on a friendship without any romance. I like that it seems to be a bit different than anything I have read. Thanks for putting this one on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. And it was different than anything I've read too- hard to explain, but I really think it has a lot to offer.

      Delete
  13. Friendship but no romance, a snarky main character, and a wonderful parent/child relationship? This sounds like a perfect read for me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her mom and her were excellent, such a healthy relationship! All three of those things were there and made it excellent book.

      Delete
  14. I think that's super awesome that this book is about a platonic friendship! And I can totally relate with the uncertainty/not knowing what to do with your life. That's great that you loved this book so much and it's a favourite read! Lovely review, Greg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a perfect read for anyone who has wondered who they are, and the friendship was great!

      Delete
  15. I really love the sound of this one - love that it features fandoms/podcasts but it's also LGBT+.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to say it's a perfect book but it's pretty dang awesome!

      Delete
  16. How refreshing to have a male and female who are actually just friends instead of pushing them together! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's interesting how we are seeing more and more books about the effects of new platforms on the internet such as podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So I guess it was a quick read :) I am considering this one. It has had a lot of good reviews lately.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds good! I love that there's not a romantic angle and that Frances has a function relationship with her mother. Plus snark and short chapters always make for a quick read! Great review! Adding to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh hell yeah, I can relate to questioning life goals and what I want out of life. Some days I'm not even sure I know (even now). This sounds ... this sounds amazing. Maybe even confronting depending on the questions it makes you ask, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah yes, I was one of those people who agonized over my major and what to do with my life lol. It is refreshing to read about platonic relationships sometimes! So that sounds great. I totally thought this was some sort of creepy horror book or something, not sure why lol, but it sounds sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds super interesting. I just started a podcast and am just now getting into listening to other ones, so that part of it is really appealing to me. And the cover draws me in. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow I want to get to this book so badly now. Love that is diverse and there is platonic but intense friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad you liked this one so much, Greg - I, too, thought it a remarkable read. Love your review:).

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was such an amazing book and I loved it to bits- I just so loved Frances and Aled's friendship, and just everythinggg altogether. It was a true gem of a book <3 I'm glad to see you enjoyed it so much too! Great review <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. One of your favourite reads? Now that is high praise. I have only heard good things about this book, though, so I'm not surprised. I've wanted to read this for a while as it's a UKYA book which I don't read enough of. It sounds like a really cool book with great characters and a strong message. That's the kind of thing you want to see in YA. I'm glad to see you enjoyed this so much. I will have to try harder to get a hold of a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Don't get me wrong - I love my romances - but reading about characters in a platonic relationship sounds great. IT sounds so good too.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved this when I read it! It was so original and refreshing and Alice Oseman writes so well! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds unlike a lot of books out there and I'm definitely considering reading it after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete