Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Review: Fractured

Fractured (Slated, #2)

Fractured is the sequel to Slated by Teri Terry. Kyla has been Slated- mindwiped and placed with a new family to start over. She knows nothing of her past, except that she must have done something terrible to be Slated. Criminals and terrorists are Slated to give them a second chance, and there is no going back to their previous life. Kyla has been different though. She has fragments of memories that she shouldn’t have. She doesn't know who she can trust, even in her own family. 

Fractured picks up right where the first book left off. Kyla has just had a deluge of memories return and she is still trying to find Ben who disappeared in the first book. She fears the worst, but when she finds out that he is alive she is determined to find him, no matter the cost. But will he be the Ben she knows? 

Fractured, like Slated, is a book I wanted to read whenever I had a free moment. Something is always happening, there are no dull stretches. It's fun seeing the twists and turns and trying to figure out who Kyla really is. As Kyla learns more about the resistance she begins to question their methods.  Who is she truly and where do her loyalties lie? 

I thought this might be one of those books where nothing is resolved at the end but then big things happen and we learn a lot about Kyla’s past and the truth about some of her relationships. There’s a very big reveal that goes a long ways towards explaining who Kyla is, and why she was Slated. A lot of clues have been leading up to this for two books, so it was nice to see the payoff. At the same time there are just enough loose ends to whet my appetite for book three.  A very satisfying conclusion and lots of questions are answered. I loved the ending, perfect.

This series rocks. Fractured was even better than Slated and I have high hopes for the third book due next spring. If you like a fast moving dystopian with a great protagonist and lots of surprises there is a lot to like here.

You can find my review of Slated here.

7 comments:

  1. Ooo Greg this sounds like a wonderful follow up to Slated, which I enjoyed. I love that we get answers and see growth. I need to grab this sooner rather than later! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I was afraid there wouldn't be any answers but at the end a lot of things wrap up. The ending is spot on. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Great to hear it was a good follow up

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to read the first book :P but seeing as this didn't suffer from the second book syndrome I am definitely moving it up my huge list. :P
    Great Review Greg! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rashika, I highly recommend it, think you'll like it a lot.

      Delete
  4. I have been noticing this one, and dismissing it as one of those books I won't enjoy. But your review makes me reconsider....I just might have to pick up the books in this series!

    ReplyDelete