Tuesday, July 18, 2023

The Sands of Time Ch 29

 

The corridors were sterile and white. Jen led the group to the top floor where they were ushered into the presence of Dr. Angelus. She was a small woman, dressed smartly and with a white lab coat over her clothing. She turned to greet them as they entered. 

"Welcome. Welcome to Harmony-1." Her smile actually reached her eyes. To her credit she seemed fairly unfazed by Howie, who floated in behind them. Hillier brazenly began exploring the room, ignoring their host. Joon shook his head and thanked her for the hospitality they had received. 

"We don't often get visitors," she replied as Jen left the room. Although you're not here for a tour. I understand you need to see Leo."

Leo Valerus- the scientist that Stella had sent them to find. 

"Yes," replied Joon. "It's fairly urgent."

"Is it true they're going to close the Gate?" she asked, glancing at Hillier who was moving things around on a workbench. 

"I don't think so," Joon lied. What else could he say? "But we need Valerus' advice- the Gate is acting strangely." He didn't mention there were strike teams roaming the complex. 

"Well, Leo is below. Down at Farpoint. We can get you down there. Please, don't touch that," she directed at the annoying Hillier, who had taken a tablet off a workstation. 

"Hillier," Joon began. 

"Fine," she huffed, tossing the tablet back down. 

Angelus looked at Joon questioningly. 

"It's a long story," Joon sighed. "I'll be honest. Things are bad, and Stella needs the expertise that he has." 

"What about Mallory? She's supposed to be as good as Leo." 

"Is she? Well, Stella did say he taught her everything that she knows. But apparently he's still the expert."

"He's brilliant. Eccentric, but brilliant. We have him to thank for much of this." 

"What do you do here?" Hillier demanded as she came up. 

"That's classified, mostly," Angelus replied. "You are...?"

"I'm Commander Hillier," she replied with a smirk. 

"Ex- Commander. Not really Hillier. It's complicated," said Joon with a sigh. 

"Well, I see," said Angelus. "This is all very irregular." 

"Not ideal in the slightest. I agree," said Joon. "We have no choice. Things are that bad."

"Mallory has spoken highly of you. I'll trust you." Her glance at Hillier clearly indicated her trust wouldn't extend to her, though. Hillier smiled sweetly. 

"We'll get you down to Farpoint stat. Should I begin evacuation protocols?" 

"Let's wait- that decision hasn't been made yet." 

12 HOURS AGO
 
"Absolutely not." Stella slammed her hand on the table. "Are you insane?"

"I may be," Joon replied. "Going through an unstable Gate that may close any minute, stranding me forever on an alien world. Or closing it from the other side, stranding myself and Maia- and apparently thousands of people who are on bases I just learned about. The least you can do is grant me this." 

"She'll kill you. Or worse. What is the point?"

"I need someone who knows Gates."

"Yes, yes, I heard all that. I listened to your conversation with her. Why do you really want her along?"

"Honestly, Stella. It's not that I don't trust you. Although... but I may have to make a decision. I need the best information. These Intruders... whoever they are... know something."

"Whatever they are." 

"Whatever." 

She exhaled and brushed hair out of her eyes. 

"I don't like it. She could sabotage anything. For questionable gain." 

"What do you know about her? Really know?"

Stella sighed. 

"This doesn't leave this room." 

"Agreed." 

Stella sat down. 

"When we first started this project things went well for a few years. We discovered Poseidon and places like it. We took resources, moved our own resources there. Encountered various beings... the Gaxians, others. Over time, however, it became clear that we had attracted unwelcome attention. There's an old saying or assumption that advanced civilizations would likely be welcoming... that any civilization advanced enough to travel interstellar distances, or dimensionally, would be beyond violence. We have since amassed evidence that this is not the case." 

Joon waited. 

"There's something out there. Something not friendly to us. Gaxians, whatever... small fry. This whatever it is is as far beyond us as we are over amoeba. And... all I can say is, we believe the Intruders know it. Or actually serve it." 

"Why haven't you killed them?"

"We need to understand them. They may be our source of information." 

"What makes you think this?"

"I can't reveal that knowledge."

"I need her. I will of course watch her like a hawk."

"I know. And I'll add a little something to the mix." 

"Something?"

Stella placed an inhibitor collar on the desk. 

"If she goes, she wears this." 


"Never," Hillier snapped. 

"It's that or you don't go." 

"I don't go." 

"You have no choice." 

"Why?"

"What's the alternative? Rot here while we stumble along. Be a part of the action. I can help you" 

"Right."

He stared at her and she smiled. 

"This doesn't help you if I get free. And you really do believe everything Stella says, don't you?"

"At this point I don't think I believe anyone." 

"First thing you've said I agree with."

She paced around her cell. 

"Do you know where the Gate comes from?"

"We found it." 

"Fine. Do you know where it comes from?"

After a moment she smiled. 

"I thought so. Let me enlighten you. Eons ago, when your race had not yet clambered out of the primordial slime, there were creatures seeding the galaxy with life. Constructing great space/ time gates to travel the cosmos. Creating through mental effort... beyond physicality. They are gone now, these architects. No one knows why. Although it is suspected that they came across the old ones- cosmic beings even greater than they. These older beings are forces of nature- not even on a scale we can comprehend. And by using the Gate you may have attracted their attention." 

"Stella said something similar."

Hillier smiled. "Stella." 

"If you and her could work together..." 

"Never. I like you. I'll play for a time. But never forget that I care not for any of you." 

12 comments:

  1. And then? And then? Good story, it grabbed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your dialogues. And this is getting more and more juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh and then? I suck at waiting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the intensity in crescendo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, at least Joon found something out. Just don't forget about Maia. Don't leave her behind. I am sure Stella might be the red herring..but I still don't trust her. It's good finding out the history from Hiller. (Sorry, if I didn't spell that right).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish me luck! On my way to the Barbie movie this morning💗💗💗Hope you have a good weekend..and stay inspired. Thanks for your comments and much more!

      Delete
  6. Uy hay mucha tensión entre los personajes. Me gusta mucho tu historia. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  7. flow of dialogs are interesting.... love it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the whole concept of these gates and all the places they can lead to; you could write several adventures just exploring the various gates and planets beyond them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first I wasn't sure but Howie's growing on me lol.

    ReplyDelete