Wednesday, July 5, 2023

One of the Girls

 
One of the Girls... what a thrill ride. I'd been looking forward to this one and I'm happy to report this was not disappointing. 

Lucy Clarke is becoming an auto buy for me. This book is probably my favorite read of the year so far. It tells the story of a hen party (bachelorette party to Americans) set in Greece, on a little island. Six women, all with secrets. Most of them are friends, some new to the group, but man did this group have some stuff going on. Almost too much? I mean, by the end I was like woah this is a lot, but there's a masterful build up and, honestly, I loved this story so much, and the characters, that I don't care. 

There's a lot happening here, so you can be forgiven if there's a little confusion while you acquaint with the various women. Lexi is the bride to be, Bella is her best friend and maid of honor, Robyn is her other bestie, while Eleanor is the sister of the groom. Ana is a mysterious newcomer, and Fen is Bella's GF. What a toxic mix! And can I just say- the author is a MASTER at evoking the setting. Incense, wild thyme on the hillsides, the foods... the author apparently has family in Greece and it shows. She knows her setting. 

The intrigues start early, and there are many themes touched on here but it doesn't feel crowded. Themes of motherhood, female friendships, changing roles in life. 

17 comments:

  1. I do like her setting and her friendships feel very real. Yes, she is definitely an author to watch for. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels like a sitcom happening here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added this one to my list. I haven't read the author but heard so many good things. This sounds like a good one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to give this author a try. This sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracias por la reseña. Lo tendré en cuenta. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those auto buy authors! Such a great setting and plot. I need to add this to the TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I love atmospheric storytelling. Feels like I took a little vacay while reading. So glad this turned out to be such a special book for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greg read a thriller! Greg wrote a review! 💃

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds right up my alley! Will add this to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I guess I need to add this to my list. I am in the mood for a good thriller, this sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely have me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad this one didn't disappoint! I just finished reading The Island by Natasha Preston, which is a thriller set at a posh amusement park, and I liked it right up until the very last page. But the way she ended it totally ruined it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you told us what a hen party was because I never would have guessed that. I'm glad this wasn't really good read for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think all of those messy relationships would confuse the heck out of me but it does sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great cover and at first glance I wouldn't grab this one, but your great review makes me rethink it. I love authors that are automatic reads.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad to see you enjoyed this one! It definitely was a wild read and there were a lot of different threads going on. I loved the setting, it was so perfect for this story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been wanting to read her books since you reviewed The Blue! I first encountered the term Hen Party in a Ruth Ware book and it took me a minute to figure out just what they were talking about!

    ReplyDelete