Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Review: Siren

Siren (Siren, #1)

Siren is the story of Vanessa Sand, who is in the town of Winter Harbor, Maine, for the summer with her family. Every summer she and her sister, Justine, hang out with the Carmichael boys next door- and this year is no exception. Except they're all older now- and things are a little more serious. Vanessa has a thing for Simon, the studious older boy, and Justine hooked up with Caleb last year and looks ready to do so again. But then something happens to change their lives forever.

After a family argument Justine storms off- and turns up dead. The family is of course devastated, and returns to Boston- but Vanessa realizes something is not right with her sister, and that there is more to her death than previously imagined. She returns to Winter Harbor to talk to Caleb, who disappeared after her death- and together with Simon she realizes something is very wrong in Winter Harbor. Bodies start turning up, men washed ashore with smiles on their faces- and not only that, but Winter Harbor is having strange weather as well. Freak storms roll in even as the surrounding areas are clear. What is the connection to Justine's death, and what does Caleb know? As Vanessa and Simon dig deeper into the mysteries of Winter Harbor, they discover a shocking secret- and realize that the deaths are part of a larger pattern that has been going on for many years.

I thought this was a good story, with likeable characters and a fun paranormal mystery. There's a certain amount of tension throughout the book as Vanessa discovers more about the town and its dark secrets. It's no surprise the story involves sirens since that's the name of the book, so the reader knows whats coming- it takes quite a while for Vanessa and Simon to figure it out however, and that'srealistic- I mean who would believe it anyway? I did think a few times that the author pushed the limits of believability when Vanessa was in situations where she could easily have been discovered, and wasn't. A couple of times I was like, really they don't see her or discover her? But that didn't rally ruin my enjoyment of the story, and I did like the suspense throughout.

 The romance is a slow burn, just the way I like 'em- no crazy instalove here. There is a twist towards the end that is addressed, I'm sure, in the next two books, which I have not read. I liked this story but it could have been self contained, I may go read the next two at some point, to see what happens. A solid read, I enjoyed it a lot - recommended if you like stories about mythological creatures or strange happenings in resort towns.

6 comments:

  1. Despite some plot problems as you described, I think that I would like this book, maybe as a library choice instead of a purchase. Thanks for an informative review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, I think it would be great as a library read. It's a debut novel but I thought the writing was good, very polished, and I enjoyed it. It doesn't get too carried away with the fantastical elements (at least until the end).

      Delete
  2. I like the setting of the novel and the story sounds interesting. Is this a YA or adult series?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this. I'm not crazy about instaloves too especially since there is more important things to deal with (like the murders!). I'll have to check this out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like this if you read it. It was a good story and the romance does go pretty slow. It was pretty realistic too for the most part, at least until the end when it gets out there just a bit. A good read.

      Delete