Monday, May 29, 2023

Camping Ch 14

 
Quadrant 1A was bustling. Soldiers everywhere, technicians, even a few robots. He wasn't in a hurry, though. He needed to decide what  to do. Should he just show up with Maia? How were they going to react in Command? 

He flipped on the comm. 

"Mallory?"

"What?"

"Are we... good? Should I... show up?"

"Where else are you going to go?"

"With Maia."

"Well... that's a tough call. I mean, she's kinda safe with you. On the other hand, you can't keep her by you like a pet." Giggling. "I'd take her back to her unit and then talk to Stella when you get back here. I'll help as much as I can."

"Alright."

"Things are bad. She's probably going to be too busy to worry about your girlfriend anyway."

"She's not my..." he stopped. Was she?

She was looking at him. 

"Alright. And... thank you." 

"Sure. Hang in there, Mai." 

"Oh, like she knows me," Maia rolled her eyes. 

They came to a junction. Joon wasn't sure where they were but had a rough idea. They turned right and almost ran into a cart being pushed by a frazzled looking technician. Joon had to look again.- there were what looked like robot heads filling the cart. One almost toppled out but Maia was able to save it. They hastened on, Joon ignoring the expectant look from her. 

"Okay, we're going to get you to your unit," Joon said. "I want you to sit tight and not worry. I'll take care of Stella." 

"That's reassuring." 

"I don't want you to worry. It'll be fine." 

"As long as she doesn't dump you in a trash chute as well." 

"Thanks for the confidence," he replied drily. 

"Sorry. I'm just understandably nervous."

"I know. Me too. We'll figure this out." 

As they came into familiar areas there was a commotion up ahead. They rounded the corner and Joon was wondering what could possibly go wrong- up ahead there was a shimmering in the air, like a doorway but it was oddly formed. Magenta light shone from the portal and there were people stepping through. 

The comm crackled on. 

"Joon, we're getting strange reports..." 

Joon was slack jawed, because Mallory had just appeared in the portal. Stepped through, looking at him. Smiled. 

"Well, Mallory. I'm looking at you."

"Huh? I'm here. How can that be?"

"Well, you're walking my way."   

10 comments:

  1. I was not expecting that! What a great twist. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sh*t might hit the fan sooner than they know. Thanks for giving me a chuckle. Can't wait for more💕🌸🌸🌸💕Oh I found the missing comment and added it. Well..there always seems to be somebody in the family who has to over-react..or maybe get the ball rolling. And sometimes, the coolest can be the worst big brothers.❤️❤️❤️❤️I'm rooting for Mai!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uy me encanta como manejas el suspenso. Genial fragmento. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the suspense and the banter between those two here. It does make you realize that they sure need to stick together to survive whatever's to come!

    https://roarsandechoes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. as usual, the story makes readers curious and unexpected....
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete