Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Black Spot S1E1 Stranger Comes To Town


Welcome to my Black Spot live watch. This is one of my favorite Netflix shows so I thought it would be interesting to rewatch it and share my thoughts in real time. Have you seen it? It is such a moody, mysterious show- I'm hoping these posts will encourage more people to try it. So, without further ado, here are my thoughts on the first episode. 

Siriani is coming to town through a misty forest and gets stung by a bee. Apparently he's allergic because he starts to go into shock and just barely makes it back to his epipen or whatever. 

We then meet the local head of police Lauréne Weiss and her fellow cop Teddy Bear as they find a body hanging in the forest. This place is creepy already. She was stabbed a bunch of times. Teddy Bear pretty much sums up how this show is going to go... 

"The birds are going crazy... 
The trees are bleeding...
It's going to be a shitty new year."  

What is it with French shows and misty woodlands? Anywho we meet the rest of the police crew- Camille is cute- and why are the crows being so fricking annoying? Lauréne arrives back at police HQ to find Siriani, the new district attorney, asleep on her couch- sleeping off his reaction I guess. Siriani is not happy to be in Villefranche- that's the village- and we learn that the village is in a dead zone. No GPS. Uh-huh. Apparently the murder rate here is way higher than the national average too, and they're three hours away from anywhere. See where this is going? 

37 murder cases pending? That's a lot. 

Creepiness ensues as they investigate the hanged woman. She was a nurse caring for her former rapist (?) or so they learn from her drug-addled brother. We get a taste of the local politics too as there's a riot at the sawmill and we meet Steiner, the owner, and ooh Lauréne's daughter Cora has chained herself to the sawmill in solidarity with the protesters. Social consciousness. Steiner and our major seem close- I think they're banging. And Steiner has a runaway daughter named Marion who went missing months ago. 

Lauréne and Steiner apparently dated in high school years ago. And how did she lose two fingers? Looks like Siriani is here to stay, apparently he pissed someone off and got sent here as punishment. And ooh why is Lauréne creeping around in the woods at night? 

What's this now? A girl chained up in the forest somewhere? Is it the missing Marion? 

She spends an awful lot of time in the woods. 

Another flashback? Is this Marion, or is this Lauréne in the woods at an earlier time? 

I knew it. Lauréne and Steiner have a thing. 

Steiner's wife doesn't like Lauréne much. They get a warrant and things get clearer. Turns out it was- spoiler- the brother who killed the nurse, and it's convoluted. Siriani, meanwhile, decides to stay- and he found out some things about our major- it was her in the woods, twenty years ago, and when they found her she was missing two fingers. Clearly this is going to be an ongoing story...

11 comments:

  1. Oh hello, I am rewatching Stranger Things bc not a whole lot has been holding my attention. I need to give this a go I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this one (but then again I don't watch TV so... ). There seems to be a whole lot going on with a lot of characters and plot lines and back stories. Sounds pretty gory/creepy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this but it sounds super creepy! And its a French show? Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic, and I hadn't even heard of it! Thanks for giving me a new show to watch. ~Lex

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen it. Wonder if it's available in Canada? It reminds me of this Nordic series I once followed on Netflix as well about kids disappearing and somehow ending up in a parallel universe. I don't know, I guess it's the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good! I've been trying to find something new to watch, so I'm definitely gonna try this one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to check this one out. I don't think I've seen it on my suggestions lists.

    Right now I'm watching Good Girls (virtually) with a friend and just finished Invincible on Amazon with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so bad with foreign shows, I should try more...and not just US, UK, AUS, Nordic ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched this and thought it was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss French Mr. Bean and it reminds me to check when Into the Night will be back. (Incidentally, I just found out that he is technically Belgian Mr. Bean, but anyway.) I also now remember how much I LOVED Teddy Bear. I really need this show to have a third season, ugh, I don't remember exactly how it ended, but I know it didn't END-end properly! I hold out a super tiny glimmer of hope? I look forward to the rest of your recaps to remember what the heck happened!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "her fellow cop Teddy Bear"
    Seriously? 😂
    Alas, I don't have Netflix...

    ReplyDelete