Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Jonny Quest 01x08

Jonny Quest: The Complete Original Series [Blu-ray]

Jonny Quest is one of my favorite cartoons but I've never seen all the episodes. Here I'll just be looking at the original series. I'm going to be sharing thoughts as I go. 

Tales from Weirdland on Twitter: "JONNY QUEST title cards.… "

A UFO! I bet this was timely back in the '60's during the UFO craze. Anyway the saucer shows up on military radar and they scramble a couple jets, but the UFO takes cover underwater and gives 'em the slip. It continues on until it reaches a base that just happens to have Dr. Quest working on some top- secret project- a laser apparently. The UFO opens up and releases a spidery robot, which is kind of cool looking- I imagine this was a little eerie at the time for kids! So Dr. Quest and Race, alerted by a guard, go investigate and it's not long before Jonny and Hadji tag along. 

Wait, so a UFO lands and instead of taking along military units for safety, Dr. Quest and Race go alone, and they bring two kids. Okay, got it. Oh, and we see Hadji's levitation trick again. Hmm, of course an Indian kid has mystical powers. Eye roll. Anyway it turns out Dr. Zin is behind the robot spy, and Dr. Quest does exactly what Zin wants him to do- he takes the robot back to base to examine. However, they put in a warehouse and leave it there (??) since they don't have time to examine it right now. Seriously? 

The robot, of course, wakes up and takes care of a pesky guard before he can sound the alarm. It then crawls all over the base, spying on Dr. Quest and Race, and of course no one sees it. Quest and Race eventually discover it in the lab, though, recording the secrets of Quest's new laser thingie, since that's what Zin really wants. Cue maniacal laughter. They can't stop the thing from escaping, though, nothing seems to work against it, even flamethrowers. But wait- the laser thingie of course is the last resort, and they manage to stop the robot at the last minute, after it reboards the UFO and takes off. Thank goodness. 

So for a show called Jonny Quest this one had very little Jonny in it. Just like in the last episode this was more the Dr. Quest and Race Bannon show, but I liked this one. It was kind of eerie and the music rocks too. A fun episode. 

I give this one 3 of 5 stars.  

Related image

7 comments:

  1. Hmm, no, it doesn't ring a bell. This must be something that we never had here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Johnny Quest!! The originals started airing on Cartoon Network, I don't remember how young I was. Elementary school, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of Johnny Quest before! Usually they replay cartoons over and over and I know it's a few decades before my time, but really curious about this one and will have to check out of I can watch an episode on Youtube. Maybe it was never broadcast in Australia. I'm such a retro cartoon buff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of Johnny Quest before, but it wasn't a cartoon I watched. From the opening theme, it seems like an action-packed show! Apparently, a live-action movie is (or was?) in the works...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I don't remember this one at all. I must have missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to watch Johnny Quest every Sunday as a child. Does this ever bring back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never got to watch very many of these because they made Baz nervous. Sometimes when I was flipping through channels and he wasn't home, and I caught one, I'd watch it. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete