Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Eight Hundred Grapes

Eight Hundred Grapes

Eight Hundred grapes is a story about the choices we make in life. Georgia Ford is an attorney who is about to get married- but when she learns her fiance has a secret she heads home to Sonoma County and her parents' house. Her dad is a winemaker with a small vineyard, and she has come home to get her thoughts together. But she soon finds that not everything is rosy at home, and that some of her family have secrets of their own.

I liked this book a lot. Georgia and her brothers, Finn and Bobby, grew up around the vineyard- their dad practices biodynamic winemaking. Sonoma County and the nearby Napa Valley are presented in a convincing way- the vineyards, with early morning fog and then the sun burning it off, the wine culture of the area- are a highlight of the book. Finn and Bobby have their own issues, and the reader- and Georgia- soon learn everyone is a mess! Georgia has to decide if she wants to go ahead with her wedding, and their subsequent planned move to London. As she learns more about her fiance Ben, and the secrets he's been keeping, she realizes that there may be no right or wrong choices- there are just different paths, and of course it's not always clear which one is best.

The family dynamics are fun, and I can see this as a fun movie (and it has been optioned, so maybe we'll get a chance to see it). Georgia has a hard time deciding what she wants, but when she finds her father's way of life threatened  that adds another complication to her thoughts. And of course Ben shows up, making things even more fun. The story plays out over a few days at the family home, and I really enjoyed getting to know the family members and their spouses. Choices are made and there are laughs along with the tears- and I did enjoy the humor, as well as a few twists that happened that kept the pace flowing. This was a good story about second chances, choices and the consequences of decisions- and about family too. Oh, and wine! A great go along with a fire and a glass of wine, if you're so inclined.

Finn turned back for just a second. "Hey, Georgia..." he said. 
"Yeah?" 
"You know that you're still wearing your wedding dress, yes?" he said. 

14 comments:

  1. This has been on my TBR for a little while and I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it. This does sound like a fun read. I didn't know it had been optioned for a movie but now I'm definitely curious. I'm really looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the small blurbs and reviews Ive read I can definitely see this as a cool movie!

    Good review, Greg, I now look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book...especially since I love wine country and family dynamics. Thanks for your great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a good story and the setting sounds delightful. I like this sentence of yours - "she realizes that there may be no right or wrong choices- there are just different paths, and of course it's not always clear which one is best." That really appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fun! I like the sound of there being no right or wrong decision, just different paths. I find that in a lot of lit like this there's a clear right or wrong, and I tend to like more fluid options. Plus wine. I'm always down for wine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds really good! I might pick it for my book club when it is my turn! It seems like it would be a fun book to go along with our wine drinking. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully, I will get it finished before a movie is made!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a good book club book... We usually drink wine at our meetings, and this book just gives us a legitimate excuse to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really good, Greg! Glad you liked it and it sounds like it deals with life choices pretty realistically--sometimes our choices lead down different paths, but that doesn't mean they're "good" or "bad." Or that we always know what is good or bad. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds SO good! I had heard about it, but not in any great detail, so I am glad to read your review. I like the sound of Georgia, and the choices she has to make. Now I want to know what she does- I think you've convinced me to read this one! Fabulous review!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard a bit about this book and think it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you liked it a lot ... me too and I'm always up for wine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! I loved this book for all the characters. I think it was an honest look at choosing the ting that makes you happy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This has been on my wish list for a while, so I;m glad to hear you enjoyed it. Exciting news about the movie rights, too... maybe I can read it before them ;-)

    ReplyDelete